The 2005 National Beef Quality Audit (NBQA) provided a new benchmark for the U.S.
beef industry. NBQA identified the following 10 goals to help American beef remain
the best in the world:
- Clarify market signals to encourage production of cattle, carcasses and cuts to
meet industry targets.
- Foster communication among industry groups and segments of the beef supply chain.
- Move expeditiously toward source and age verification to build supply lines of cattle
(domestic and export).
- Minimize production of excess fat.
- Strive for uniformity/consistency in cattle production.
- Consider tenderness in genetic and management decisions.
- Recognize the importance of marbling as a value-determining trait.
- Use instrument assessment of cattle, carcasses and cuts for genetic and management
- Select management practices that increase value.
Most of these goals can be achieved faster and value can be more effectively
transferred throughout the production chain with a comprehensive genetic
profile of cattle.
The Igenity profile is a powerful and practical tool that can create value for the
industry right now.
Igenity provides a common language to achieve goals faster.
The comprehensive inside information provided by an Igenity profile not only helps
every stakeholder in the beef production chain achieve their own goals it
also provides the first common language for communicating value throughout the chain.
Scores from Igenity were confirmed by a 50,000-animal study that followed animals
through the production chain to harvest and compared scores with phenotypes
for traits of economic importance. In this study there was a
significant association of scores from Igenity to phenotypic and harvest results.
The study also revealed the lack of a significant correlation yield grade and quality
grade, or quality grade and tenderness. So producers can use Igenity to identify
genetic potential for these traits independently or in combination to make management
Use Igenity now to benefit even more in the future.
Current users of the Igenity profile gain the advantages of inside information on
the traits listed below. More importantly, using Igenity now prepares you to take
advantage of new analyses as they become available.
- Residual feed intake
- Average daily gain
- Quality grade
- Yield grade
- Fat thickness
- Ribeye area
- Heifer pregnancy rate
- Stayability (longevity)
- Calving ease
- Arthrogryposis Multiplex
- Coat color
- Breed-specific horned/polled
- Multisire parentage
- BVD-PI diagnostic test